This course is designed to assist students in playing the guitar. Students will receive guidance and direction in solving problems related to playing the guitar on all levels and will learn many of the different styles, skills and techniques required to become a successful musician. Areas of concentration include: correct posture, note-reading, aural skills, rhythmic patterns, chord study, finger-picking styles, melody construction, musical forms and performing experiences.
COURSE GOALS FOR BEGINNING GUITAR
- To develop independence and strength in both left and right hands.
- To learn to recognize and know the placement of all notes in first position.
- To learn and perform 35 Basic Chords.
- To learn I-IV-V7 progressions in seven different keys.
- To learn and perform blues progressions.
- To learn and perform basic power chords and progressions.
- To learn and perform basic root-fifth bass guitar playing technique.
- To learn to recognize and execute basic rhythms.
- To analyze simple chord progressions and be able to play the guitar as an accompaniment instrument.
- To learn to read multiple voices and play the guitar as a solo instrument.
- To be able to perform one octave major scales in every key.
HOMEWORK AND TESTING CALENDAR